Oswaldo Guayasamín Museum

The House-museum Oswaldo Guayasamín has three permanent expositions to honour and preserve the memory of this painter of Ecuador and Latin America.

It exhibits personal objects of the artist, and pieces of the popular Latin American art, as well as object of the 19th century.

The institution was inaugurated in January 18th, 1992, with the noble effort of the painter along with the Office of the Historian of Havana. The restoration of the important building, placed downtown Old Havana, revived the splendour of the Peñalver's huge mansion built in the 18th century.

In this process of restoration were found murals whose archaeological richness is a treasure of the Cuban colonial architecture. An estimate of its value is credited by the relevant Cuban painter José Nicolás de la Escalera. One of the rooms in the first floor has multiple purposes. It has transitory exhibitions of national and foreign artist, conferences and video displays about the life and work of the Ecuadorian painter, as well as the commemoration of historical national feasts in Ecuador.

Other galleries have transitory expositions of diverse forms of art from Cuba and the world.

A shop is placed in ground floor of the House"Museum Oswaldo Guayasamín to commercialized typical objects from Ecuador. Born in Quito, capital of Ecuador, in July 6th, 1919, Guayasamin obtained all the national awards of his country during his youth. It had, at the age of 33 years old, in 1952, the Prix of the Biennale of Spain and later on the Prix in the Biennale of Sao Paulo.

He made 180 personal expositions and his production was very fructiferous in paints, murals, sculptures and monuments.

His work was exhibited in almost all the museums of the American capital and in many countries in Europe. He worked in his master piece Men's Chapel, a work of a great humanist sense and denouncing the injustice and violence of the 20th century, up to the moment of his decease in March 10th, 1999

Address: 111 Obrapía Street, between Oficios and Mercaderes, Old Havana.
Tel: (537) 861 3843.
Open: Tuesdays through Saturdays 9:00 " 16:30; Sundays 9:00 a 13:00.
Visitors can make contribution in an available box Guided visits free of charge.
|